I am being accused for stealing money from a City Office, where I worked, should I get a lawyer?

Asked over 1 year ago - Gladewater, TX

The place where I worked I receipted money and made deposits along with three other people. I was accused of stealing money from the City after I left. Both the City Secretary and the Mayor are spreading rumors about me stealing and I'm frustrated and want something done now. I did not steal money, her and the mayor are extremely close, talk/text on the phone all the time even on weekends, she told me this. They did an illegal audit when I left. The chain of commands weren't followed. They were supposed to discuss it in a meeting with City Council to get their approval before they paid for an audit to be performed. The City Secretary on several occasions took money from the cash drawer, she said we could do this as long as we put the money back.

1. Todd Bennett Steele

2

Answered . Absolutely get an attorney if there is any chance you may be charged. It's better to get an attorney and make a game plan sooner, rather than later.

2. Tab Eugene Lawhorn

Pro

1

Answered . I would be very careful posting specifics regarding your situation on an open forum website. There is no doubt that you have some serious exposure, even if you are wrongfully accused. I suggest contacting a lawyer in your area that is sensitive to the small town politics that can be played in East Texas. I would also consider contacting a lawyer that is not necessarily tied to your community. Good luck.

3. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

1

Answered . If you are contacted by law enforcement do not make any statements and hire a defense attorney immediately. You may also want to consult an employment lawyer for advice on the civil side.