Skip to main content

I am applying for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival. Can I travel to Hawaii if approved? Is there any risk?

Newark, NJ |
Filed under: Deferred action

Which documents should I bring and is there any risk in flying to Hawaii if my process is approved?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. You should be able to travel within the United States with no difficulty. This would include Hawaii. The risk would be if there was a problem with the airplane and you were forced to land in a foreign country. The details regarding international travel for DACA recipients, with approved advance parole documents, are still being worked out.

  2. Yes, you can.

  3. Hawaii is one of the United States, it does not constitute foreign travel. If you are granted deferred action, you will not be put in removal proceedings as long as you do not depart the U.S.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  4. Hawaii is in the US, so I doubt any problems there. But make sure you don't get into any sort of trouble.

    Shah Peerally, Attorney at Law President of Shah Peerally Law Group PC Newark CA Important: The above is provided for educational purposes only. You should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. Cases differ and success in one case might not constitute guaranty of success in your case. We recommed to talk to a licensed attorney before you proceed. For more information on call us on 510 742 5887

  5. Hawaii is a state. I would carry the approval notice with you just in case.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

  6. There is nothing preventing you from traveling to Hawaii if you have a valid passport. However, there is also nothing preventing immigration authorities or police at the airport from detaining you because you do not currently have any lawful status. If you can afford a trip to Hawaii, you should be able to afford a consultation with a lawyer to make sure you are eligible for DACA and to make sure your application is done properly. Once you have DACA status you will not have any problem traveling within the U.S.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics