I am applying for deferred action and I don' know how to answer a question

Dallas, TX |

The question if I ever been in removal proceedings, well I was stopped back in 2004 and an immigration officer gave me a Notice of Action-Voluntary Departure but I never saw a judge or anything, the officer just drop me off at a Greyhound bus station. This was in Louisiana. Do I say yes or no to being in removal proceedings?

Without seeing the paper work, I would still say "yes". I would suggest a consultation and if you do not have the resources to hire an attorney, there are many public interest organizations that are conducting DACA trainings and helping applicants file their applications.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

I would also say that without actually seeing any paperwork on this, that you should err on the side of caution and state "yes." Furthermore, because you could end up in removal proceedings if your application for Deferred Action is denied, I would recommend consulting with an attorney on this issue. Again, as my colleague mentioned, if you don't have the resources for an attorney, contact one here in the DFW area and ask for a referral to a public interest/non-profit that can help you.

Please remember this is not official legal advice, and this is no way establishes an attorney-client relationship. For a free 15 minute phone consultation please call 972-638-7207.