I am applying for asylum,what happens if am caught working illegally in the united states

Boston, MA |

I have been in the united states for 7 months and i had tried to file for political asylum but didnt get a lawyer before but i now got one though i havent filed yet. what happens if i were caught working illegally in the united states.?

Working illegally should not damage your ability to apply for asylum. You must file your asylum application within the year after you arrived. Even if you are one day late on filing the application, the application can be and often is rejected or denied because it was filed late.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Thanks John. What are the implications if I were caught working illegally at the moment?

please see answers to your duplicate question

It should not affect your asylum application. You must answer all questions in the process truthfully.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Recommended articles about Employment