Skip to main content

I am applying for a visitor visa into the U.S. as part of a business trip. I was on F-1 2 years ago

Miami, FL |

Before the expiration of my OPT i applied for change of status through my employer but had to withdraw my application. The withdrawal was the result of my employer misplacing my RFE form. I exited the US before the deadline on my RFE . Will I have any trouble applying for a visa? What documents should I bring with me? I am currently in Dubai UAE

Attorney Answers 4


You should not have any trouble. You will nee to prove you will return to your country when the trip is completed. Bring evidence to show your ties to job, family, and other obligations that you may have upon your return to your country.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

8 lawyers agree


From what you described that COS was considered abandoned once there was no RFE response provided to the Service. From the narrative it does not appear your status was compromised by that
Apply for a visitor's non-immigrant visa using the required list of documents as suggested from the U.S. Embassy there.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Mark as helpful

9 lawyers agree


You should be okay. Bring document which show that you have no intention of permanently remaining in the US.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

19 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleagues. As long as you can demonstrate that you have every intention to return and not remain in the U.S., there should be no issues.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Mark as helpful

8 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics