I am an LPR. My girfirend is in Mexico and has a border crossing card.

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

I travel back and forth. I want my girlfriend to have our son in the US. She comes and goes legally with her BCC, no immigration violations. If she comes to the US and gives birth and we pay the expenses, will that affect her when I petition for her to come to US? I plan on petitioning for her soon but would have to wait for visa and baby is due in 4 mos. Thank you.

1. Michael Hugh Carlin

4

Answered . There could be a risk that US immigration officials might look negatively upon your partner's travel to the USA and then giving birth in the USA. I agree with Attorney Saldana. If you are eligible to naturalize, and if you marry your girlfriend, then your petition for your wife will go much quicker (years quicker) than if you remain an LPR. And if you become a US Citizen, and if your newborn child lives with you, then the child will either be a US Citizen at birth (depending on when you naturalize) or will become a US Citizen through you. I suggest that you meet with an immigration attorney to plan a course of action for success.

2. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

3

Answered . I agree with my colleague Mr. Carlin; be sure to obtain immigration assistance from an excellent and reputable attorney before filing any forms with USCIS.

3. Rebecca Saldana

1

Answered . Why don't you apply for citizenship and then adjust her status?