I am an international student, I was told at first that I could not join the military, then another recruiter told me I could.

Moline, IL |

Can I join the military as an international student and serve for four years? While enrolling, can I hire an immigration lawyer to help me pursue a green card? By the way, I love the military. I will be a LPN in two semester if that helps.

The military has programs for one to obtain citizenship after enlisting. Go with the recruiter who says you can join.

You should listen to the recruiter. They do have programs now, which in some circumstances may be available to you.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Yes, if you are here lawfully and otherwise qualify you can enlist.
Over the last ten years thousands of foreign nationals have been granted US citizenship using an expedited process by serving in the Armed Forces.

www.court-martial.com; www.court-martial.us.com; mljucmj@gmail.com 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

I agree with my colleagues.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

I am swimming upstream on this one-unless something has changed very recently and I missed it, you must have a green card to enlist (INS I-151/I-551) in any service branch. You used language suggesting you do NOT have a green card--I think you are NOT eligible to enlist.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Something changed. they have programs now when they do offer enlistment to legal nonimmigrants. I had a person on TPS and he was offered and actually enlisted and ended up a USC. Go figure. If you read the law, you are correct though.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III

There is currently a bill (the Military Enlistment Opportunities Act) before Congress that would allow non-green card holders the opportunity to enlist, the bill has only like-warm support and there is currently a Military Accessions Vital to National Interest (MAVNI) program, authorized by the Secretary of Defense last year, for a few special language skilled immigrants without green card who can join the Army. I can locate no general policy that otherwise allows any enlistment of individuals who do not have a green card.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

You may be right, that person spoke Urdu

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

He was from one of the TPS countries but of Pakistani dsnt.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

I had another individual, he was prom Egypt and he also was thinking about joining the military. he had conversations with some recruiters and it was agreed that he would be able to join. He was and still is on F1. It might be language related. I have no idea.

I agree with my colleagues. Serving honorably in the armed forces opened the door to citizenship many.