I am an Independent contractor working for a landscape architect. I no longer work for him, and He owes me $5,000 in invoices.

Asked over 1 year ago - Colorado Springs, CO

Today, I was told that he will no longer need my services. In the contract, it states I will be paid once clients are paid, but I am not sure if I can trust him. My work for hire agreement expired after 3 months, and never got renewed, but I still have been receiving work agreements for specific jobs. Some state that he will pay me once client pays him, however some of them do not. What can I do to ensure and guarantee that I get the money for my services rendered?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would sue him in small claims court for the $5,000 in invoices. Let him raise and prove that clients have not paid him yet. That will take a huge amount of time, effort, and inconvenience to those customers and he will likely just agree to settle with you. You definitely need a new attorney to draft up your contracts. You never want a contract to be conditioned on something that you have ABSOLUTELY no control over - whether a client pay the architect.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to... more
  2. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Mr. Leroi is correct. Sue in small claims. A pay-if-paid clause is strictly construed (meaning the courts do not like these).

    Most importantly, doing work involving thousands of dollars of value should be well written and drafted by someone who is looking out for your interest, namely your attorney. A good contract is worth the price paid many times over as opposed to having no clue about what you are doing or relying on whatever they put in front of you to sign. Speak with an attorney to get the best advice on how to structure your complaint. Good luck.

    This answer is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice regarding your question and does not... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with each of my learned colleagues -- call one of them for the help you need in putting together your case!!

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship.... more

Related Topics

Employment as an independent contractor

An independent contractor has a consistent working relationship of performing services for a company or client, but does not meet the criteria for employment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

38,089 answers this week

3,942 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

38,089 answers this week

3,942 attorneys answering