I am an Independent contractor working for a landscape architect. I no longer work for him, and He owes me $5,000 in invoices.

Asked 12 months ago - Colorado Springs, CO

Today, I was told that he will no longer need my services. In the contract, it states I will be paid once clients are paid, but I am not sure if I can trust him. My work for hire agreement expired after 3 months, and never got renewed, but I still have been receiving work agreements for specific jobs. Some state that he will pay me once client pays him, however some of them do not. What can I do to ensure and guarantee that I get the money for my services rendered?

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

3

Answered . I would sue him in small claims court for the $5,000 in invoices. Let him raise and prove that clients have not paid him yet. That will take a huge amount of time, effort, and inconvenience to those customers and he will likely just agree to settle with you. You definitely need a new attorney to draft up your contracts. You never want a contract to be conditioned on something that you have ABSOLUTELY no control over - whether a client pay the architect.

2. Robert John Murillo

3

Answered . Mr. Leroi is correct. Sue in small claims. A pay-if-paid clause is strictly construed (meaning the courts do not like these).

Most importantly, doing work involving thousands of dollars of value should be well written and drafted by someone who is looking out for your interest, namely your attorney. A good contract is worth the price paid many times over as opposed to having no clue about what you are doing or relying on whatever they put in front of you to sign. Speak with an attorney to get the best advice on how to structure your complaint. Good luck.

3. Daniel Nelson Deasy

1

Answered . I agree with each of my learned colleagues -- call one of them for the help you need in putting together your case!!