I am an independent contractor for a logistics company. Now I have been informed my office hours are 7-4. Sound right?

Houston, TX |

I can't find anything in my contract about "office hours".

If you are a truly independent contractor, you should be able to set your own hours and conditions of work. However, you should have your contract reviewed by an attorney to get a full response.

This is not intended to be legal advice, but is only for general information. Cantact an attorney in your area for legal advice.

Office hours are whatever your employer says they are. Laws only dictate
when premium pay is required.
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG -
Version: 2012.0.2197 / Virus Database: 2437/5186 - Release Date: 08/08/12

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links:

Your employer generally has the right to set the hours you work. As Mr. Candiano states, this does not become an issue until you work more than 40 hours a week, at which time your employer generally has an obligation to pay you time and a half overtime.

You mention a "contract." Does it address overtime pay?

Lee Keller King

Lee Keller King

Note that often an "independent contractor" is really an "employee" for purposes of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Employers often try to "game the system" by characterizing an employee as an independent contractor, but the Labor Department will look at the actual relationship between the employer and employee.

Recommended articles about Employment