Skip to main content

I am an immigrant getting married to a US citizen. I am working on my social security. Is this going to be a big problem?

Brooklyn, NY |

I am an immigrant getting married to a US citizen . I was on a 1 last year and returned on a 2 . Is working on my social security from my 1 from last year . We will be getting married next month and I will file my adjustment of status straight away . Will working on my social now go against me when we file ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Probably not.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Since this is a repost, look at your other post for my answer.; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly through one of the above.


It should not. You have to disclose it though.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:


Since you are married to a US citizen, then working on a social security number would not be a problem. Make sure your immigration forms has your social security number.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer