I am an illegal immigrant, married to a US citizen, how can I start my process towards citizenship?

I was born in Mexico , then brought Arizona when I was 5 years old . . illegally . I am now 24 speak close to perfect English , and Ive been married to a US citizen for 2 years . We have a 1 year old daughter . . . So I was wondering how should I start ? would the new law in March benefit me ?

Phoenix, AZ -

Alicia Marie Heflin

Alicia Marie Heflin

Immigration Attorney - Phoenix, AZ

The first step would be for your spouse to file an I-130 petition on your behalf. The next step would include applying for a provisional waiver due to your unlawful presence in the U.S. and then you would be required to depart to Mexico for a consular interview. The waiver process, however, requires that you establish your spouse would suffer extreme hardship if you are not able to obtain lawful status in the United States.

It sounds like you may also be eligible for deferred action, which is only a temporary remedy, but may be worth considering.

I would recommend consulting with an immigration attorney who can walk you through these processes so that you can decide which option is best for you and your family at this time.

Best of luck to you.

Jorge Ivan Pardo

Jorge Ivan Pardo

Immigration Attorney - Charlotte, NC

It is possible that the new "provisional waiver" process that begins March 4, 2013, may benefit you. Before your spouse files a petition for you, it is best that you consult a licensed immigration attorney or an organization authorized by the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) to determine what is best in your particular situation.
The answer to your question depends on many factors like: criminal records, prior immigration violations, etc... It also sounds like you may qualify for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. The attorney look at the alternatives and give you his/her best advice.

Karen-Lee Pollak

Karen-Lee Pollak

Immigration Attorney - Dallas, TX

yes hte new law would help you. You may also be eligible for Deferred Adjudication. Consult an attorney

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Immigration Attorney - San Francisco, CA

You may be eligible for DACA as well as the I601a waiver. You should consult with an attorney before doing anything.