I am an F1 international student on OPT. my indian passport is expiring end of this year. I want to change my name.

Overland Park, KS |

I am an F1 international student on OPT. my indian passport is expiring end of this year. I want to change my name as i got married 2 years back but i was waiting to complete school to do so since i wanted my undergraduate and graduate certificates to have the same name. if i want to change my name now before i file for H1 next year is that okay? or what would you recommend?

1. As far as Immigration is concerned, you are free to change you name to whatever. Just be sure that you acknowledge your maiden name on all applications and submit any legal documents showing that you have registered for a name change. Best of luck.

This response is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Every case is different and it is important to obtain sound legal advise from an experienced immigration attorney before filing an application. If you would like to schedule a free consultation to discuss your situation further, please contact us at (479) 717-2278. We have offices located in Springdale, AR and Fayetteville, AR.

2. Indian consulate will do it for you. Make sure your maiden name is listed on your passport as proof.

The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.