I am an executor, and do not want to be what should i do

Asked about 1 year ago - Huntington Beach, CA

i was named in a will as executor of an estate and dont want to be what do i do with the will

1. Jane Kempf Penhaligen

6

Answered . Just because you were named as executor does not mean you have to accept the position. You can decline to act as executor. Does the will name an alternate executor? If so, contact that person and see if they are willing to act as executor. If not, a family member can step-up and ask the court to appoint them as executor. You will need to sign a declaration that you are declining to act as executor for either the successor or a family member to be appointed.

2. Craig Martin Scalise

4

Answered . You were only nominated by the maker of the will; you are not required to be the executor. The alternate/backup can serve in your stead.

3. Charles Adam Shultz

3

Answered . If the person has died and you have original Will, have it lodged with the Court in the county where the decedent resided. You can then notify the heir, beneficiaries, that you are declining to serve.

4. Gregory Paul Benton

1

Answered . This depends on if the Will is being probated or not. You don't have to be forced to act as the executor. Also, get the person who named you as executor to amend the Will. If probated, then file an objection to the Probate proceedings and state your desire to not be appointed.