I am an current AuPair in my second year on a J1 visa and my boyfriend and I want to get married, what do we have to do exactly?

Chicago, IL |

He is American
I am German
We planned to get married in my travel month, which is still during my J1 visa time

You go on www.uscis.gov and read residency through marriage article. Follow the instructions, file forms, pay the fee and make sure you are not subject to INA 212(e). I am sure you are not, but double-check just in case. Better alternative - hire an immigration attorney and enjoy legal advice and peace of mind.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

thank you!

Your question is a bit unclear. How do you get married or how do you adjust status to a permanent resident after wards? As to the getting married part, you follow your state's procedure if you choose to marry in the US. Afterwards, you would both submit several applications in order to apply for you permanent residency in the US, if you qualify. Think about speaking with an attorney in your area to discuss. Good Luck.

thank you! and sorry if it is unclear!

The U.S. state laws permit both of you to get married legally as long as your meet each state age, residence, medical requirements and furnish requisite documents to initiate and record such marriage.
Now, in terms of adjustment of status for a German national after you become married you need to meet with an experienced immigration practitioner to receive an accurate and full understanding of your legal options to complete AOS properly. In my opinion, nothing tops an actual confidential meeting at the office for accurate guidance in such technical legal matters.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

thank you!

The Adjustment process is a complicated one and an attorney can help you first identify any red flags and/or disqualifiers, then explain the entire process, and finally do it all for you so that you can sit back and simply follow directions to getting your green card.

Essentially you are looking at two concurrently filed applications--a petition and adjustment. (I-130 & I-485) but many additional forms are to be included.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC
www.swagatusa.com/attorney

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.

thank you!

You apply for a marriage license and get married. I assume you want to know who to file for permanent residence in the U.S. There are a number of forms to complete and you should see a lawyer to help you.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

thank you!

Getting married in Illinois is quite easy. You get a marriage license from the County Clerk's Office, and then you have the marriage ceremony of your choice, and file a marriage certificate (again, with the Clerk of Court). If you are in Chicago, most of this can be done at the "Marriage Court" down at the County building. It will not matter at all to the Clerk what your citizenship is.

If you want to get a green card after that, your new husband will need to file a petition for you and also agree to provide financial support for you. It is best to have a personal consultation with an attorney beforehand to discuss any particular issue that could arise.

Law Office of Mary K. Neal | www.immigratechicago.com | info@rogersparklaw.com| 773-681-1335 This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.

thank you a lot!

Marriage and prenups topics