I am an at-will employee who was just terminated. I requested a written copy of my termination but was denied? is this legal?

Southfield, MI |
Filed under: At-will employment

I know that the employer does not have to give reason, Which they stated was "making changes to the company". however, I'd like a written statement just showing they let me go and that I did not quit. I live in Michigan and if I had quit, I would not be entitled to unemployment benefits. Is it within my rights to request a written letter for this purpose?

1. You can request it, but the employer is under no obligation to give it to you. Unemployment will be handled by the state and only if the employers object would it even matter.

2. I agree with Attorney Klisz. There is no requirement that your employer provide any written termination notice. You may file for unemployment and if you are denied based on the employer's reasons for termination, you can appeal it but at least then you would have a written reason. Keep in mind that unemployment benefits used to be up to a maximum of 26 weeks in Michigan but changed this time last year to only 20 weeks. I wish you luck!

The comments listed here do not create an attorney-client relationship. The comments are for informational purposes only and are not to be considered legal advice. This attorney is only licensed in Michigan and does not give legal advice in any other state. All comments are to be considered conversational information and you should not rely on these comments as legal advice or in place of retaining an attorney of our own. The comments here are based solely on what you have provided and therefore are general in nature and with more specific facts or details a different answer or outcome could result. The legal system is not a perfect science and this attorney does not guarantee any outcome.

3. You have the right to request; they have the right to deny. Perhaps you could get a former co-worker to sign a statement in front of a notary. Good luck. I hope this helps.

My discussion with you regarding the question you posted on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is my response to your question to be considered legal advice. While I do my best to provide helpful responses given the factual scenario presented, proper analysis of any matter requires a more in-depth conversation than what is practical on Avvo. If you would like to discuss your matter further so that I may provide you with more specific advice, please take advantage of your free consultation by e-mailing me directly at mickey@mickeylarsonlaw.com or by calling me directly at (616) 606 - LAW-6 (5296). If you are a member of the military, or if an immediate family member of yours lost his or her life while fighting for our country, I am proud to offer you a 10% discount on my fee.