I am an American citizen I was born here in America. I want to sponsor my sister who has a student visa

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I am an American citizen I was born here in America. I want to sponsor my sister to come to American? is it going to be easy for her to apply for a student or visitor visa then after she come to the USA I sponsor her ? and what is the waiting period for her to get the green card if I sponsored here while she is already in the USA?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Long wait. Sister is Family 4 category. The wait is around 14 years.

  2. Sasha O. Lazarevich-Sinnott

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can petition your sister however it will take a very long time for her priority date to become current. This varies based on country of origin. As others suggested, a ten year wait is not uncommon.

    As your sister is a student she must also consider how long she intends to remain in school. Once she has expressed immigrant intent to the US government she will no longer be eligible for student visas and will have a difficult time obtaining temporary work visas.

  3. Gintare Grigaite

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may sponsor your sister, but keep in mind that she will have to wait for the visa to become available to her. Depending on the country of nationality, the waiting time for the visa may be ten years or more.

    Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Contact... more
  4. Christian Schmidt

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your sister will have to wait over 10 years to get a green card through you and must maintain lawful status all the time to get it without leaving the US. Once you filed the petition, it will be more difficult for her to re-enter the US on a visa because your petition indicates that she wants to live permanently in the US.

  5. Tripti Sharad Sharma

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It will be a long wait, about 10 years for her to get residency. Also if you wish she adjust status, she should maintain status for all these years.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,278 answers this week

2,833 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,278 answers this week

2,833 attorneys answering