I am an American citizen I was born here in America. I want to sponsor my sister who has a student visa

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I am an American citizen I was born here in America. I want to sponsor my sister to come to American? is it going to be easy for her to apply for a student or visitor visa then after she come to the USA I sponsor her ? and what is the waiting period for her to get the green card if I sponsored here while she is already in the USA?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . Long wait. Sister is Family 4 category. The wait is around 14 years.

2. Sasha O. Lazarevich-Sinnott

4

Answered . You can petition your sister however it will take a very long time for her priority date to become current. This varies based on country of origin. As others suggested, a ten year wait is not uncommon.

As your sister is a student she must also consider how long she intends to remain in school. Once she has expressed immigrant intent to the US government she will no longer be eligible for student visas and will have a difficult time obtaining temporary work visas.

3. Gintare Grigaite

5

Answered . You may sponsor your sister, but keep in mind that she will have to wait for the visa to become available to her. Depending on the country of nationality, the waiting time for the visa may be ten years or more.

4. Christian Schmidt

4

Answered . Your sister will have to wait over 10 years to get a green card through you and must maintain lawful status all the time to get it without leaving the US. Once you filed the petition, it will be more difficult for her to re-enter the US on a visa because your petition indicates that she wants to live permanently in the US.

5. Tripti Sharad Sharma

1

Answered . It will be a long wait, about 10 years for her to get residency. Also if you wish she adjust status, she should maintain status for all these years.