Skip to main content

I am an American citizen, married to a Namibian man. Can he immigrate?

Portland, OR |

We have lived in Namibia together for a 1.5 years. Recently we went to visit my family in the United States, we are still here. We have decided to stay, if we can. He came on a holiday visa, I came with my USA passport. They give us 6 months to stay.

We did not come with the specific intention to stay, but have been considering where to make our permanent life for some time. Our hearts say America is home, with my family.

We did not come with intentions for fraud, and we do have return tickets. But! Before we do anything, can he apply for his green card here? Or do we have to go back to Namibia. The trip is very expensive, and we would just like to stay if possible. Help?

Attorney Answers 6


You can sponsor your husband for a green card in the US.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

20 lawyers agree


I agree with Mr. Shusterman you can sponsor him.

You need to be prepared to explain how you two 'suddenly' changed your minds as to the purpose for your trip into the US.

Plus, you will need to have a job, or substantial financial assets, as part of that sponsorship.

Getting an attorney would be a great idea.

Franco - 503-803-0055

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

6 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleagues, you can sponsor your husband.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

Mark as helpful

4 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree


You can petition him and he can file for adjustment of status.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


This is primarily an immigration question so I changed your category to immigration. I am not an immigration specialists but I have had clients marry their spouses who were not yet residents or citizens. In some cases after they applied for the new immigration status their spouse had to go back to their country and wait for the application to be approved and re-enter the US when the new status to immigrate for marriage to the US citizen was granted. They were told that it was not guaranteed that the application would be granted but fortunately it was. Definitely go talk to an immigration attorney to find out what your options are and what risks might be involved.

The comments by this author to questions posted on Avvo are designed to foster a general understanding of what might be the law governing the area of the legal problem stated and suggest what might be the approach to finding a legal solution. Under no circumstances is this author acting as the attorney for the party who posted the question or as the attorney for subsequent readers to the question or response and no attorney client relationship is being formed. This attorney's comments are not intended to be a substitute for getting legal advice from a licensed attorney. A reader of this author's comments should never act on the information provided in these comments as though these comments were legal advice and should always seek legal advice in a personal consultation with an attorney in their jurisdiction before taking action. The information provided here is not intended to cover every situation with similar facts. Please remember that the law varies between states and other countries and is always changing through actions of the courts and the Legislature.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

5 lawyers agree


You can sponsor him. I agree with my colleagues.

The Law Office of Elliot M.S. Yi, 2075 SW First Avenue, Ste 2J, Portland, Oregon, 97201;; 503-951-8209. This answer is intended for general informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The statement above does not constitute legal advice, as all the facts are not known.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics