I am an American citizen, I married my out of status boyfriend a couple weeks ago. Will he be banned if we leave the country?

Asked 9 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

My now husband was out of status for a couple of years, f1 visa expired, before we married. We were told he has to apply for the green card in the country before he can even think about leaving, problem is, a family member is very sick and he needs to go to his home country. We would apply now but seeing as we know we will be out of the country for over three months, at the very least, we are worried he will lose the green card and thus out of thousands of dollars and time. Although him, in my opinion, being banned would be terrible.

- would he be banned for ten years automatically, once he leaves the u.s.?
-could we appeal the ban, assuming he gets one, from Japan
-can we apply for the green card in another country?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

6

Answered . Your husband should make a choice between visiting his sick relative abroad or applying for and obtaining a green card in less than six months. If he were to leave now, in all likelihood he wouldn't be able to come back for the next 10 years, married to a US citizen or not, given that there would be no real "hardship "to speak of with which to have a hardship waiver approved. USCIS and the Department of State repeated many times, to whoever wanted to hear, that "mere separation is not considered hardship "

2. Gerald P. Goulder

2

Answered . I don't fully understand what you mean by "banned." KIt is possible he can apply for his "green card" 9at the same time you file your petition) and have his biometrics for his Travel Document (allowing re-entry while his application to adjust status is pending; but you should review these dates for travel and the timing with an immigration attorney. It is also possible you can petition for his immigrant visa and he can apply for that visa from abroad; though he may have to apply for a waiver of inadmissibility--which is difficult to be granted. Again, you should consult with an immigration attorney.

I have worked with many clients who have need to travel abroad, yet doing so will cost them their opportunity to adjust status to permanent resident. The ned to be with the family is important when close relatives are ill. Yet, it could also mean forgoing the green card.

3. Stephen D. Berman

2

Answered . It depends if he worked without authorization or USCIS made a finding he is out of status. Generally F1 students are admitted for"duration of status". There is no end date. So they accrue unlawful presence only as indicated above. There is no appeal from a correction application of the law, however there are waivers. His approved visa will be sent to the country where he lives.

4. Guerline Ladouceur-Laurore

Pro

1

Answered . I am sorry to hear about your family member. More information is needed to give a complete answer but, your husband will not be banned. However, he might have trouble gaining entry to the US. You should consult an attorney as soon as possible before making a decision either way.

5. Maria J. Marty

Pro

1

Answered . This is a difficult choice because there is no easy answer. He may not be able to return if he leaves. If staying in the U.S. long term is important to him, get married and wait at least until he has travel permission to leave the U.S. Since so much is at stake, its worth paying an attorney for a consultation and getting all the information you need to make a decision.