I am agreeing for my child to move with other parent out of state. Is there a guide to a fair parenting plan?

Asked 9 months ago - Memphis, TN

We are amicably working this out as we agree there are better opportunities for the child. Child is teen aged. There are no "locked in" details yet such as move date, property acquisition, specific school system named - only destination city of employment. I can't afford my own lawyer and court costs. But I don't want to lose a minute I deserve with my child. I want to be as involved as physically possible regardless of distance.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Johnny Quitman Rasberry Jr.


    Contributor Level 15


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . The process concerning parental relocation is contained in the Tennessee Code Annotated 36-6-108. Parental relocation requires the relocating parent to send notice pursuant to the statute. If proper notice is given and the other parent does not object within the time allowed, then the relocation can proceed without any Court involvement. The risk you run is not being able to see your child when you want because the parenting plan will no longer reflect the realities. Your parenting plan probably requires mediation prior to any court action. You will need a new parenting plan in order to secure your time with your child. I would recommend that you contact a family law attorney to assist you in negotiating a new plan. If both you and the other parent can reach an agreement, even without mediation, then the attorney can prepare the proper plan and enter it with the Court. Please visit our web site for more information.

  2. Eugene L. Belenitsky


    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Some informal agreement may backfire. The Judge's order probably looks at the best interests of the child, a finding that cannot be changed without court approval. Your cheapest option is to cobble an agreement together and then hire or have the relocating parent hire attorneys (one for you and one for him/her) to formalize the agreement and get the Judge to sign off on it. So long as everybody's in agreement, this should be quick and affordable, and it will give you and your ex peace of mind that you are doing everything right.

    Legal Disclaimer – Nothing contained in this response creates an attorney-client relationship, all information is... more

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Child custody and moving to another state

A parent who wishes to move to another state with a child must prove to the court that such a move is in the child's best interests.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,101 answers this week

2,370 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,101 answers this week

2,370 attorneys answering