Skip to main content

I am administror of estate in Virginia for my decease mother do I need to have one in Oregon as well to sue in Oregon?

Portland, OR |

My husband is the administrator of his deceased mothers estate which was granted by the Virginia courts. We are sueing for wrongful death in Oregon, do we have to have an estate open in Oregon as well? Or will the estate in virginia be sufficient? She sustained injuries in Oregon but died from them in Virginia.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You don't need to open an additional probate in this instance.

Matthew Johnson phone# 206.747.0313 is licensed in the State of Washington and performs bankruptcy, short sale negotiations, and estate planning in Whatcom, Skagit, Snohomish, King and Pierce counties. The response does not constitute specific legal advice, which would require a full inquiry by the attorney into the complete background of the facts and circumstances surrounding this matter; rather, it is intended to be general legal information based on the limited information provided by the inquirer; it This response also does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established after a conflict of interest evaluation is completed, your case is accepted, and a fee agreement is signed. Johnson Legal Group, PLLC


No, the Virginia estate can sue in an Oregon court.

Nothing posted on this site is intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:


You don't need an Oregon probate, but you will have to "domesticate" the estate with the Oregon court.




James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick


I think that by that, Attorney Kirtland means to have the Oregon court legally recognize the authority of the Virginia administrator. There is likely a form that can be filed to do this. We have a similar procedure in Michigan.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer