Skip to main content

I am accused of Neglect/Maltreatment of my fiancés daughter. I am innocent. Do I need a lawyer?

Seattle, WA |

These people KEEP saying, "its NO BIG DEAL!" & "its ONLY administration charges!" IT IS A BIG DEAL TO MY MORALS & VALUES AS A WOMAN WHO LOVES CHILDREN. I WOULD NEVER NEGLECT A CHILD!!! I LOVE MY STEPDAUGHTER, I would Never put her in danger!!! IF I SHOULD BE CHARGED WITH ANYTHING, IT SHOULD BE, "THE OVERPROTECTIVE MOTHER IN THE 1ST DEGREE!!" .......& sO I keep FIGHTING & FIGHTING..... DO I GET A CHANCE TO DEFEND MYSELF? I just keep signing the paper with my "right to a review??" PLEASE HELP ME>

Attorney Answers 3


Get a lawyer. It is too hard to defend yourself in such emotional situations.

If you think my answer best responds to your question, please mark it "best answer." Thank you.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I agree, you need a lawyer to look at the facts of your case, compare them with the law, and advise you on your prospects of getting justice.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


There is no legal requirement for you to hire an attorney, but in CPS cases it's very important that you have legal representation. If you are low income, the court may appoint an attorney to represent you. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on child custody and CPS cases for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Please keep in mind that although these Legal Guides are often informative, they are no substitute for legal advice from an attorney you have retained for consultation or representation. There are always exceptions to the general rules. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "Contributor Level - View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Contribution - Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 31 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful” or “best answer”. © Bruce Clement

©Bruce Clement. This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

Mark as helpful

Child abuse topics

Recommended articles about Child abuse

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics