I am about to meet with my parole officer for the first time tomorrow. I'm a 40 year old male that had his first, last and only

Ocean City, MD |

conviction for a white collar crime (embezzlement). I spoke to my parole officer on the phone and she already seems to hate me. I've got a ton of restitution, but I don't do drugs of any kind, already have a job and live at home with my wife and son. Is there anyway the officer can send me back to jail, like they already threatened to do?

They do not have the power to put you in jail, but they can notify the judge if there is a violation and the judge can put you in jail at a hearing. Contact your attorney if you have concerns.

This answer is being given for general informational purposes only and is not protected by the attorney-client privilege since this is a public forum. The information provided does not create an attorney-client relationship. No communications with me on this forum shall be construed as arising out of an attorney-client relationship. If a client needs specific legal advice or opinions, he or she should retain counsel for advice or to undertake representation.

Thank you Mr. Scherr and Mr. Geller for your help, I'm new to all of this and scared to death. I know I'll never be able to get my restitution paid off in 5 years. (it's over $600K) so that's my only fear as far as a violation but I'm hoping that my parole conditions will set some sort of monthly payment that I can afford to pay.

You should be fine as long you comply with your conditions of parole.

Thank you Mr. Geller for your help, I'm new to all of this and scared to death. I know I'll never be able to get my restitution paid off in 5 years. (it's over $600K) so that's my only fear as far as a violation but I'm hoping that my parole conditions will set some sort of monthly payment that I can afford to pay. I've already served 2 1/2 years on my 10 year sentence, I don't want to go back!

Leon A Geller

Leon A Geller

Make every effort to keep current with whatever (realistic) payment schedule is set. I don't believe you can be sent back to jail due to an inability to pay.

Your question mentions a parole officer. Perhaps you are referring to probation, which in Maryland is a period of supervision up to five years imposed at sentencing. If you are referring to parole, that, in Maryland, involves being released by the Maryland parole commission. In Maryland, probation agents also supervise parolees.

Being human, probation and parole agents can make mistakes. Also, being human, they might be more prone not to be accurate about probationers and parolees they do not like. If charged with a parole violation, you risk being detained pending a parole violation hearing, without a judge's involvement. If charged with a probation violation, at least you will be able to be heard by a judge to determine any bond pending a probation violation hearing.

It sounds worth your while to consult privately with a qualified lawyer to address such options as smoothing out matters with your agent and/or to seek a replacement agent. All the best. Jon

None of my comments on AVVO's website constitute legal advice. It is only food for thought for matters to address with a qualified laywer. My website's disclaimer page at http://katzjustice.com/disclaimer.htm applies to all my answers on AVVO.com .

Thank you Mr. Katz for your help, I'm new to all of this and scared to death. It actually is parole, as I've already served part of my sentence incarcerated. I have restitution to repay, it's over $600K, and I'm afraid that part of my parole conditions will be to have that paid off faster than I can do it. I'm hoping that my parole conditions will set some sort of monthly payment that I can afford to pay. I've already served 2 1/2 years on my 10 year sentence, I don't want to go back!

Remember this, parole/probation officers have a tough job and meet with some pretty rough people all day long, so they will be short with you. Do not take this as a personal offense. Be sure to show up on time and bring any paperwork that is requested. Once the probation officer sees that you are serious about the restitution and keeping out of trouble they will be a lot easier to deal with.

Thank you for your help Mr. Hall. I guess the weather prevented my officer from being there today but I'm hopeful this situation will work out much the way you describe it once I meet with her.