I am about to have a child my girlfriend has agreed if we are to have this child i can have sole custody

Asked over 3 years ago - Cedartown, GA

what kind of lawyer would i need to write this contract up?

1. Lisa Michelle Harris

1

Best Answer

Answered . It is not as easy as simply signing over a parent's rights to a child. In Georgia, both parents are deemed to have an obligation to the child. Georgia courts will not do anything regarding establishing parentage until the child is born. Also, in order for one parent to give up their rights and obligations to the child, Georgia generally requires a second or step parent who is willing to step in as an adoptive parent. Also, in order for a step parent to adopt, generally the biological parent needs to have been legally married to a step parent for one year prior to being able to assume the responsibilities of adoption.
    I am more than happy to discuss your case with you further if you'd like.

Be well,

Lisa

2. Frank Emilio Martinez

Answered . What you seek may not be possible. In fact, it may be illegal. It will be very fact specific.

Sit down with an attorney, and discuss the matter fully and honestly before you do anything further.

Best,

Frank

*Any information provided is for information only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the above information. No attorney-client relationship is formed.