I am a witness in a federal case. The federal prosecutor told me to get an attorney because I am not 100% truthful. Why?

Asked 11 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

What does having an attorney have to do with being 100% truthful or not?

1. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

16

Answered . Because you went from witness to a target in the investigation. You need to lawyer up and not with just any criminal attorney. You need a federal criminal defense attorney who is not only willing to assist you back into the witness mode, but who also can do it. Getting you back into the witness mode costs far less than defending you through a federal criminal trial. I wish you the best.

2. David Matthew Piper

14

Answered . Perjury. Also lying to federal investigator is a crime, even if not under oath at the time.

Find yourself a lawyer and soon.

3. Joshua Sachs

14

Answered . Perjury is one possibility. Giving false information to a government agent is another. They may be considering prosecuting you. Think of the warning to get an attorney as their "En Garde!"

4. Greg Thomas Hill

12

Answered . Perjury.

5. Robert M Speeter

12

Answered . Because lying to a federal agent is a crime in and of itself. Get a lawyer now. Hopefully the prosecutor just wants you to come clean and knows any lawyer that practices in Federal court will encourage you to be 100% truthful. It is too risky to do anything else. You also need to get a lawyer because the prosecutor may be seriously looking at coming after you. Be fully truthful with your lawyer or (s)he cannot really help you. Good luck.

6. Peter John Marek

9

Answered . Mr. Hill is correct. Perjury. It is rarely charged but a crime none the less.

7. Brian K Wanerman

9

Answered . As a general rule, prosecutors are not in the habit of advising people to lawyer up. When one does, like this one, it is highly advisable to take the hint and hire a lawyer IMMEDIATELY.

8. Pardis Patrick Ashouri

5

Answered . When you testified you took an "oath" to tell the truth and perjury and lying to Feds are separate offenses as was pointed out by colleagues. So best hire an attorney to consult with. Good luck.

9. Stephen F Wallace

6

Answered . Perjury, false testimony leading to either obstruction or aiding and abetting - these are only some of the ways you may incur criminal exposure for testimony. Get an attorney to gauge their seriousness.