I am a witness in a federal case. The federal prosecutor told me to get an attorney because I am not 100% truthful. Why?

What does having an attorney have to do with being 100% truthful or not?

1. Mr. Hill is correct. Perjury. It is rarely charged but a crime none the less.

2. Perjury. Also lying to federal investigator is a crime, even if not under oath at the time.

Find yourself a lawyer and soon.

Reliance on any information in this website is at the sole risk of the user and the user understands that he or she should consult with an attorney before taking a course of action based upon information contained in this website. The information on this website does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

3. Perjury is one possibility. Giving false information to a government agent is another. They may be considering prosecuting you. Think of the warning to get an attorney as their "En Garde!"

4. Because lying to a federal agent is a crime in and of itself. Get a lawyer now. Hopefully the prosecutor just wants you to come clean and knows any lawyer that practices in Federal court will encourage you to be 100% truthful. It is too risky to do anything else. You also need to get a lawyer because the prosecutor may be seriously looking at coming after you. Be fully truthful with your lawyer or (s)he cannot really help you. Good luck.

5. Because you went from witness to a target in the investigation. You need to lawyer up and not with just any criminal attorney. You need a federal criminal defense attorney who is not only willing to assist you back into the witness mode, but who also can do it. Getting you back into the witness mode costs far less than defending you through a federal criminal trial. I wish you the best.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

6. As a general rule, prosecutors are not in the habit of advising people to lawyer up. When one does, like this one, it is highly advisable to take the hint and hire a lawyer IMMEDIATELY.

The response above is not intended as legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Legal questions can only be fully answered through consultation with an attorney to whom you give full and accurate details. Anything you post here is not confidential and is not protected by the attorney-client relationship. It is highly recommended that you seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting.

7. Perjury, false testimony leading to either obstruction or aiding and abetting - these are only some of the ways you may incur criminal exposure for testimony. Get an attorney to gauge their seriousness.

8. When you testified you took an "oath" to tell the truth and perjury and lying to Feds are separate offenses as was pointed out by colleagues. So best hire an attorney to consult with. Good luck.

In addition to AVVO's disclaimer, please note that by this answer no attorney client relationship is intended mor entered into and unless there is a signed retainer agreement in place, neither me nor anyone in our office has intended to solicit clients nor reprints them. The answers are general in nature and without weighing specifics of particular query. No answer should be relied on in whole or in part, directly or otherwise to act or not to act in pursue of any of your potential claims in law or equity. You should consult with and obtain advise or representation of an attorney to protect your rights regarding your case or matter.