Skip to main content

I am a witness. Should I go to the DA?

North Tonawanda, NY |

I am a witness to a crime. The defendant was originally charged with four counts of unlawfully dealing with a child, two counts of endangering the welfare of a child, two counts of forcible touching and two counts of sexual abuse. He cut a plea deal so that all the charges would be dropped except the endangering the welfare of a child counts. If I come forward, would the DA's office call off the deal? I dont want this man to just go to jail for 60 days. He needs to be locked up for a long time.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I strongly urge you to contact the district attorney as soon as possible. However, I recommend that you consult with a local criminal defense attorney before you contact the district attorney to insure that you will not be walking into the prosecutor's office and incriminating yourself.


Contacting the prosecutors office and telling them what you know is the appropriate thing to do. What the prosecutor does with that information is up to them. The prosecutor has the obligation to fairly apply the law.

Good Luck-


You should definitely contact the DA and discuss what you know with them. There is no guarantee that they will call off the deal, but you may provide additional information and insight to them that they were unaware of. In fact, many times, plea deals are the result of the DA's belief that they have a weak case. The information you provide could cause them to reformulate their position and reconsider the offer.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer