I am a widow and want to change back to my maiden name. where can i start or what's the procedure?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Paramus, NJ

I just want to change back to my maiden name. that's it and would like to do it right.

1. Ronald Anthony Sarno

Answered . The Bergen County courthouse or the nj judiciary website has the forms for filing for a name change. In NJ there is a court complaint, a required newspaper publication, with an affidavit of publication, and a hearing in court in which the judge will ask you to give the reasons why you wish to do so (the most important testimony: I am not trying to avoid creditors, I am not trying to conceal a criminal past.). Applicants can do it pro se. Many lawyers will do it for a set fee. If you wish a legal representation, my firm does this and my NJ number is 908-400-5585.
    On my profile there are several legal guides. I recommend reviewing the following which may be helpful to you:
    Hiring a lawyer; Is it Legal? Is it Illegal?...Understanding the different court systems;
    Introduction to Legal terms used in litigation; Limitations on a Lawyer’s License: What a Lawyer Can and Cannot Do……………………………..…………………………..

Our law firm may be able to assist you in this legal matter. You can access our contact information at our website: www.sarnoanddefelice.com or my avvo profile.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER…………………………………………………………………..
    Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.