Skip to main content

I am a victim of domestic violence and wanted to know...

Philadelphia, PA |

Should I claim "Good Cause" because the father does not have a job and has not gave a penny since the child was born. Right now there is still an open case for a simple assault on me which I had my wrist broken on account of me asking him a simple question. I received a court date for July but need an answer as to whether or not claim good cause. Can anybody help me please?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I not sure what you mean by claiming "good cause". Do you have a PFA? That would be your first priority. You also need to follow through with the criminal charges to ensure that he is punished. You really need to meet with an attorney as soon as possible to make sure that you are protected and that you understand your rights. If you are still in the house, you can call the abuse hotline and they will help you find a safe place to stay until you have a support order in place. Legal aid will file the PFA free of charge. Please don't wait.

My response is based solely on the limited information contained in the question. It is not meant to substitute your attorney's advice.


I also am confused what you mean by "good cause." Ultimately, you want to have a protection from abuse (PFA) against him, which can be done either by filing a PFA or through the terms of the criminal case for the simple assault. You want to protect yourself and show that you are the victim, and not allow him to turn it around on you. There is a high probability that if he was granted bail a condition of his bail will be to stay away from you. However, speak to a domestic violence specialist in your area to help you through this situation. You are not alone.

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state

Robert Zaiden Corrado

Robert Zaiden Corrado


I have been practicing criminal law for over43 years and I have never heard the term "good cause" in relation to a domestic violence case. What do yo mean?


you should talk to a should file for a protection order plus for child support and to confirm custody.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer