I am a victim of cyber bullying. Is there anything I can do?

I had a disagreement with a shopkeeper in a town about two hours from my home. Through the internet, she has sent my photo and name to a local shop similar to hers. This shop in my town (who I have never had any issues with) has my photo and name on display saying I am a thief.

Angels Camp, CA -

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

Personal Injury Lawyer - Sherman Oaks, CA

You may have a cause of action against the shop owner who is displaying your photo with the clear implication you are a "thief." It is hard to determine whether you would have any cause of action against the first shopkeeper.

I suggest you consult with local counsel and, perhaps, have local counsel write a letter to the shop owner who is displaying your photo. If there is no truth to the allegation I believe the shop owner would want to take it down to avoid a defamation action. Good luck.

Harry Edward Hudson Jr

Harry Edward Hudson Jr

Personal Injury Lawyer - Stockton, CA

I would not refer to this as cyber bullying. This has the definite appearance of defamation. How many people are involved would depend on what was said between them about you.
These are difficult cases. This is one of those rare times when a cease and desist letter from an attorney may be beneficial.

Eric D Ridley

Eric D Ridley

Litigation Lawyer - Port Hueneme, CA

I agree with my colleagues. This does not sound like cyber-bullying to me, as much as defamation. However, defamation cases are expensive, exhausting and emotionally draining to pursue. A letter from a local attorney might be enough to do the job, however.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Personal Injury Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Best bet is to spend a couple hundred bucks and have a local attorney write them a cease and desist letter.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com