I am a victim of cyber bullying. Is there anything I can do?

Angels Camp, CA |

I had a disagreement with a shopkeeper in a town about two hours from my home. Through the internet, she has sent my photo and name to a local shop similar to hers. This shop in my town (who I have never had any issues with) has my photo and name on display saying I am a thief.

You may have a cause of action against the shop owner who is displaying your photo with the clear implication you are a "thief." It is hard to determine whether you would have any cause of action against the first shopkeeper.

I suggest you consult with local counsel and, perhaps, have local counsel write a letter to the shop owner who is displaying your photo. If there is no truth to the allegation I believe the shop owner would want to take it down to avoid a defamation action. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

I would not refer to this as cyber bullying. This has the definite appearance of defamation. How many people are involved would depend on what was said between them about you.
These are difficult cases. This is one of those rare times when a cease and desist letter from an attorney may be beneficial.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

I agree with my colleagues. This does not sound like cyber-bullying to me, as much as defamation. However, defamation cases are expensive, exhausting and emotionally draining to pursue. A letter from a local attorney might be enough to do the job, however.

Eric Ridley can be reached by phone: (805) 244-5291, by email: ridley.eric@gmail.com, or at http://www.ridleylawoffices.com This answer is intended to provide general information only. It does not create an Attorney-Client relationship, nor should it be construed as legal advice or an opinion on specific situations. Eric D. Ridley is licensed to practice law in California. The Law Offices of Eric Ridley emphasizes Estate Planning, Bankruptcy and Consumer Law & Litigation.

Best bet is to spend a couple hundred bucks and have a local attorney write them a cease and desist letter.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com