Skip to main content

I am a victim of battery and need help. who can I talk to.are there any state programs?

Orlando, FL |

I was assaulted by some thugs and got a $5000 er bill and other issues like now I may need surgey ect. to correct the fractured humerus and other damage to my spine. I doubt these young men have $ to pay they were 18- 20.Are there any ways to get some sort of help with this? I cant afford an attorney to go after them and they have not been arrested .I found out one lives in my neighborhood but he may not tell who his accomplices are.Any advice is greatly appreciated

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Sorry to hear about your story. Call your local State Attorneys Office and ask to speak with a victim advocate. Ask them about the victim's compensation fund too see if you qualify.

  2. If they were arrested, contact the state attorney and ask for the number to the Florida Victim's Compensation Fund. That organization is here to help you.

    John S. Riordan, Esq., RIORDAN & HERMAN, PL., West Palm Beach, FL, (561) 650-8291. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm Beach County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.

  3. I agree with the other attorneys. You may be eligible to have your medical bills paid from the victim compensation fund.

  4. The State Attorney's office administers crime victim compensation. You should contact your prosecutor or a victim's advocate at their office. They process your claim and send it to Tallahassee.

  5. Dear Victim,

    Here is some contact info:

    Contact the State Attorney's Office Victim advocate:
    Cynthia Dubrouillet, Victim Services Director (407) 836-2402 or

    Contact the Orange County Sheriff Victim Advocate:
    Laurie McKenna, Victim Advocate (407) 254-7000, ext: 70580 | For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.877.452.9457. Attorney James Regan, LL.M, Esq., is a Florida lawyer answering questions pro bono. Answering these consumer questions based on limited and unverified facts does not create an attorney-client relationship. Being posted on the internet, these questions and answers are not confidential. For confidential answers on Florida law, call 1.800.452.9357.

  6. In addition to what the other attorneys have said regarding the victim's comp fund, you probably have a case for a civil suit against all the people involved. Personal injury lawyers often take this case for no upfront cost in return for a percentage of any settlement or judgment you get. Of course, it is possible as you say that these young men don't have much money, but attorneys often have ways of investigating such things early in the process.

    My response to this question does not mean I agree to represent you in any proceedings. This information is also not subject to attorney-client privilege.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics