I am a victim of battery and need help. who can I talk to.are there any state programs?

Asked about 2 years ago - Orlando, FL

I was assaulted by some thugs and got a $5000 er bill and other issues like now I may need surgey ect. to correct the fractured humerus and other damage to my spine. I doubt these young men have $ to pay they were 18- 20.Are there any ways to get some sort of help with this? I cant afford an attorney to go after them and they have not been arrested .I found out one lives in my neighborhood but he may not tell who his accomplices are.Any advice is greatly appreciated

1. Bryce Aric Fetter

8

Answered . Sorry to hear about your story. Call your local State Attorneys Office and ask to speak with a victim advocate. Ask them about the victim's compensation fund too see if you qualify. www.BryceFetter.com

2. John Skyler Riordan

6

Answered . If they were arrested, contact the state attorney and ask for the number to the Florida Victim's Compensation Fund. That organization is here to help you.

3. Zahra Shanaz Umansky

4

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys. You may be eligible to have your medical bills paid from the victim compensation fund.

4. Mark H Randall

Pro

4

Answered . The State Attorney's office administers crime victim compensation. You should contact your prosecutor or a victim's advocate at their office. They process your claim and send it to Tallahassee.

5. James Regan

Pro

3

1

Answered . Dear Victim,

Here is some contact info:

Contact the State Attorney's Office Victim advocate:
    Cynthia Dubrouillet, Victim Services Director (407) 836-2402 or cdubrouillet@sao9.org

Contact the Orange County Sheriff Victim Advocate:
    Laurie McKenna, Victim Advocate (407) 254-7000, ext: 70580

http://defendme.net

6. Alan Smith

Pro

2

Answered . In addition to what the other attorneys have said regarding the victim's comp fund, you probably have a case for a civil suit against all the people involved. Personal injury lawyers often take this case for no upfront cost in return for a percentage of any settlement or judgment you get. Of course, it is possible as you say that these young men don't have much money, but attorneys often have ways of investigating such things early in the process.