Skip to main content

I am A USA citizen and I married a illegal immigrant about a year ago. We have a 3 month old baby together.

Lakewood, NJ |

I wanted to know there was any way he can get a green card and get him legal in the USA.

Attorney Answers 8

  1. Meet with a lawyer, he probably needs a waiver.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. You should consult with an immigration attorney. The answer to your question is "maybe." Much more information is needed in order to answer the question. That is why you need to consult with an immigration attorney. Best of luck to you.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

  3. Seek help From an immigration lawyer in your area. Husband will most likely need an inadmissibility waiver.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. You can file for him and he can get the visa abroad. He will need a waiver to return.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  5. The answer will largely depend on how he entered the country. If he entered illegally, he will need a waiver and will have to depart the country to receive his immigrant visa (which later becomes his "green card"). If he entered the country legally, but then overstayed his visa, he may be able to adjust his status (receive a "green card") without needing to leave the country -- under certain circumstances. Go over his eligibility with an attorney.

    Former USCIS and Department of State Embassy Officer -- Khurgel Immigration Law Firm -- 4199 Campus Drive, Suite 550 Irvine, CA 92612. Email: Office: (949) 509-6515 Direct: (949) 535-6331 Fax: (949) 509-6599. Kindly note that this blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is simply an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  6. Yes, there is a way. Depending on his criminal and immigration history, he could receive a green card. The process takes some time and is complex, but it can be done in many cases. Call an immigration lawyer to discuss the details.

  7. Yes but more information is required. Did your spouse enter the US legally with a visa or was the entry without inspection (illegal entry). Has your spouse been convicted of any criminal activity either her in the United States or abroad. If there was a legal entry with a visa and no criminal conviction, I may be able to obtain lawful permanent residence status for your spouse without the necessity of him or her leaving the United States. Call me to schedule an appointment in Freehold at (732) 780-3090

  8. I would need to review the entire history for him in order to determine whether there is relief available at this time.

    973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics