Skip to main content

I am a US citizen living in Mexico. I am divorced but continue to live in Mexico. Can my children become American citizens?

Chicago, IL |
Filed under: Immigration

Their ages range from 16-28

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Ahhh- that is a great immigration question and there are many outstanding IMM attnys here always contributing to avvo, repost under immigration and I am sure you will get a bunch of great answers today. If you children live in the US and you are a US Citizen it does sound like you have options.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

  2. They might already be US citizens, depending on how long you lived in the United States. If so, it is only a matter of filing for Certificates of Citizenship and/or U.S. Passports. If not, you can petition for them to become lawful permanent residents, after which they can become U.S. citizens. Please consult with an attorney experienced in U.S. immigration law who can figure out whether they are U.S. citizens already.

    This answer provides general information only. Please see an experienced immigration attorney for a complete answer. 203 645 6376.

  3. Certainly, if they are not already. They would simply have to follow the appropriate procedures.

  4. If they were born while you were already a US Citizen then yes they are already US Citizens. It is then a matter of getting the appropriate paperwork to demonstrate and and apply for proof of it.

    Khaja Din, Esq.

    Din Memmen

    Free Consultation For Your Immigration Questions In Chicago

    4518 N. Kedzie Ave
    Chicago IL 60625

    (312) 361-8462

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics