I am a US citizen living in Mexico. I am divorced but continue to live in Mexico. Can my children become American citizens?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Chicago, IL

Their ages range from 16-28

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

6

26

Answered . Ahhh- that is a great immigration question and there are many outstanding IMM attnys here always contributing to avvo, repost under immigration and I am sure you will get a bunch of great answers today. If you children live in the US and you are a US Citizen it does sound like you have options.

2. Renee Colette Redman

Pro

8

Answered . They might already be US citizens, depending on how long you lived in the United States. If so, it is only a matter of filing for Certificates of Citizenship and/or U.S. Passports. If not, you can petition for them to become lawful permanent residents, after which they can become U.S. citizens. Please consult with an attorney experienced in U.S. immigration law who can figure out whether they are U.S. citizens already.

3. Khaja M. Din

Pro

8

Answered . If they were born while you were already a US Citizen then yes they are already US Citizens. It is then a matter of getting the appropriate paperwork to demonstrate and and apply for proof of it.

Khaja Din, Esq.

Din Memmen

www.dinmemmen.com

Free Consultation For Your Immigration Questions In Chicago

4518 N. Kedzie Ave
    Chicago IL 60625

(312) 361-8462

4. David Alexander Browde

Pro

6

Answered . Certainly, if they are not already. They would simply have to follow the appropriate procedures.