I am a US Citizen and wants to bring family to US from India including brother older than 21.

Asked 2 months ago - Fort Wainwright, AK

I have done some research and know how to file I 130. My younger brother is 23. I know it takes around a year for parents and spouse to come US but how much time does it take for siblings of 21 and older?

I have family friends back in India and they had similar case. They told me that if I want to bring my brother with my parents within one year then there is some special procedure to bring sibling of 21 and older.

They hired attorney in India for the same.

My question: Is there anything we need to do in term of special application or forms to bring siblings early?

Thank you,

1. Stephen D. Berman

Pro

3

1

Answered . They probably applied for humanitarian parole. Perhaps there was a disability or other urgent need. Otherwise, there is only one visa category for siblings, and it makes no distinction between married, single, under 21 or over 21.

2. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

3

1

Answered . Your brother will not be able to immigrate through a petition filed by you for at least 10 years due to limited visa availability. There is no special procedure to bring a sibling any faster aside from your parents petitioning for him upon obtaining residence.

3. Lea Sullivan McDermid

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys answers and would add that a sibling of a U.S. citizen falls under the Family-Based 4th Preference Category. For those from India, the current backlog for that category is about 12 1/2 years, but that wait time will change every month, depending on how many visa petitions are received for that category. For unmarried sons/daughters of permanent residents (F2B category), the wait time is about 5 years less, so it would probably be a good idea for your parents to petition your siblings after your parents become permanent residents. You can check the visa bulletin at http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/l...

4. Rizwan M Khalid

1

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. They are absolutely right.