I am a US Citizen and want to get papers for my husband who came in the country illegally.

Asked 11 months ago - Houston, TX

I am a US Citizen and am married to an illegal immigrant. We have been married for 10 years and have 2 children. Due to his legal status we had to live apart for many years. I couldn't leave here permanently and he couldn't leave there for fear of getting caught. The boys and I visited him regularly. We are now together as a family and I want to apply for papers for him. I used to receive government assistance ( food stamps & medicaid) Would the fact that we were living apart and I was receiving assistance make it really hard if not impossible to get papers? He has no criminal record just some tickets that he paid for driving without a licence. He was caught by border patrol in 1999. They finger printed him and sent him back to Mexico. He came in 2000 and has been here ever sinc

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

2

Answered . You will need to consult with an immigration attorney in person. You are not looking for general information. You are looking for tailored legal advice. AVVO is not designed to accommodate that.

2. Gen Kimura

Answered . You will need to consult with an immigration attorney. If he is eligible for 245(i), he could adjust his status in the U.S.

3. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

1

Answered . Did he enter the country legally. If not, your case will be very difficult. It is best to hire an immigration attorney to review all the paperwork and evaluate your options.

4. Andrew T. Brooks

Pro

Answered . Process starts by filing Form I-130. I recommend talking to an immigration lawyer to review his previous contacts with INS/ICE/CBP.