I am a US Citizen and want to get papers for my husband who came in the country illegally.

Houston, TX |

I am a US Citizen and am married to an illegal immigrant. We have been married for 10 years and have 2 children. Due to his legal status we had to live apart for many years. I couldn't leave here permanently and he couldn't leave there for fear of getting caught. The boys and I visited him regularly. We are now together as a family and I want to apply for papers for him. I used to receive government assistance ( food stamps & medicaid) Would the fact that we were living apart and I was receiving assistance make it really hard if not impossible to get papers? He has no criminal record just some tickets that he paid for driving without a licence. He was caught by border patrol in 1999. They finger printed him and sent him back to Mexico. He came in 2000 and has been here ever sinc

Did he enter the country legally. If not, your case will be very difficult. It is best to hire an immigration attorney to review all the paperwork and evaluate your options.

Alexus P. Sham-The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Alexus Paul Sham

Alexus Paul Sham

I reread your post and see that he did the country illegally. This makes the case difficult as he would need to consular process in Mexico and will be subject to the 10 year bar.

Process starts by filing Form I-130. I recommend talking to an immigration lawyer to review his previous contacts with INS/ICE/CBP.

You will need to consult with an immigration attorney in person. You are not looking for general information. You are looking for tailored legal advice. AVVO is not designed to accommodate that.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

You will need to consult with an immigration attorney. If he is eligible for 245(i), he could adjust his status in the U.S.

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions.

Marriage and prenups topics