I am a US Citizen and my fiancee is a Mexican citizen. We would like a religious ceremony in Mexico.

Asked about 2 years ago - Washington, DC

Where is the best place to have the civil ceremony? In the US or Mexico for US Immigration? Also, my fiancee has a tourist visa, will he need to apply for a fiancee visa?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Please provide us with details. Is your fiancee in the U.S. Is fiancee presently in a valid tourist staus? If not, how long ago did the authorized stay expire?

    If your fiancee is still in Mexico and you would like a religious ceremony there, that means that you will fil an immigrant petition for your fiancee and eventually go for consular processing before entering as a conditional resident. I suggest you consult with an experienced immigration lawyer.

    Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail: mc@madridcrost.com; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street,... more
  2. Luis Alberto Guerra


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . My colleague is correct.

    Guerra Saenz, PL--Immigration Attorneys (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be... more
  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  4. Kamal Nawash

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . You did not give enough information.

  5. Toni Maschler

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should have a consultation with an immigration attorney to be certain to balance the location and kind of wedding celebration(s) you would like with the requirements of immigration law and the waiting or separation that certain options would entail. Make an appointment with an experienced attorney!

    This general information does not establish any attorney-client relationship. There may well be factors not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,524 answers this week

2,911 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,524 answers this week

2,911 attorneys answering