I am a US Citizen and my fiancee is a Mexican citizen. We would like a religious ceremony in Mexico.

Washington, DC |

Where is the best place to have the civil ceremony? In the US or Mexico for US Immigration? Also, my fiancee has a tourist visa, will he need to apply for a fiancee visa?

Please provide us with details. Is your fiancee in the U.S. Is fiancee presently in a valid tourist staus? If not, how long ago did the authorized stay expire?

If your fiancee is still in Mexico and you would like a religious ceremony there, that means that you will fil an immigrant petition for your fiancee and eventually go for consular processing before entering as a conditional resident. I suggest you consult with an experienced immigration lawyer.

Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site:

My fiancee is living in the UK to finish his studies. He has a valid tourist visa and has never overstayed time in US on this visa. We are trying to see where it would be best to have the civil ceremony in order to allow him to get a permanent resident status the easiest.

Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost

Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost

Be careful with the pre-conceived intent issue. We don't want a situation wherein he is coming here to marry you and apply for the green card. What you can do is to file a fiancee petition (as long as you have met in person within 2 years prior to filing the finacee petition and you can prove a good faith relationship). YOu can then get married civilly within 90 days of his entry. Once you are married, you can proceed with the application for the green card which takes about 6 more months. Please consult with a lawyer.

My colleague is correct.

Guerra Saenz, PL--Immigration Attorneys (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.

I agree with my colleagues.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

You should have a consultation with an immigration attorney to be certain to balance the location and kind of wedding celebration(s) you would like with the requirements of immigration law and the waiting or separation that certain options would entail. Make an appointment with an experienced attorney!

This general information does not establish any attorney-client relationship. There may well be factors not mentioned in the question which could and should be addressed in an attorney consultation.

You did not give enough information.

Recommended articles about Family law