I am a US citizen and live in Grand Cayman. I am marrying a Caymanian. How do we go about this living here?

Asked over 5 years ago - Myrtle Beach, SC

My fiance is Caymanian & I am a US citizen. We are getting married in Cayman & wil live there after but want to move back to the US asap. We don't have much $ so want to do the least expensive choice. I am confused between the I-130 and the K-3 visa. Are those 2 seperate charges? How long does the I-130 process take if we dont get the K-3 visa? How do I do all this living outside of the US? There is no Embassy here.

1. Lynne Rogers Feldman

Answered . I would need answers to several questions to advise procedure. If you have lived in Cayman more than six months you may be able to process both the I-130 and immigrant visa stages simultaneously at the consulate. If not, the I-130 would be filed here, when approved this is sent to NVC which collects immigrant visa fees and documents and then schedules for na interview at the consulate deemed most appropriate for Caymanians. These days there is rarely a reason to file a K-3 as it is not any faster and just adds fees and processing time to getting the PR card.

2. Lynne Rogers Feldman

3. Philip Alan Eichorn

Answered . The K-3 and I-130 process are related. The I-130 is filed first and then if the "line" for an immigrant visa interview is too long, the petitioner can file a K-3 and have the beneficiary enter the U.S. as a non-immigrant. This means that the beneficiary must file an adjustment of status application upon entry and will get their permanent resident status from USCIS instead of the consulate.

You can hire an attorney to represent you throughout the preparation and filing of the visa petition and the subsequent consular processing. In determining where to file and where the beneficiary will need to go for their interview, more information is needed.