I am a us citizen and I want to know how I can sponsor my brother who is an illegal immigrant to get a green card?

Asked about 2 years ago - Jersey City, NJ

My brother was admitted on a tourist visa and now overstayed authorized date and now I want to do something to get him a green card

1. Luis Alberto Guerra

Pro

4

Answered . You could file an immigrant petition on his behalf (I-130); however, he will have to wait many years before he could actually get his green card and immigration benefits. I suggest that you meet with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss all the different options.

2. Eric M. Mark

Pro

2

Answered . You can sponsor him, but he will have to wait many years (approximately 9) until a visa is available to him. He will remain out of status and in jeopardy of removal until then. Speak with an immigration lawyer.

3. Yolanda Navarrete

2

Answered . Your brother is not considered your"immediate relative" . Therefore, after waiting many years for the visa to become current, under today's laws he will have to go back to his country for consular interview. Then he will face a 10 year bar, absent a waiver. This is not very promising at the moment.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

3

Answered . I agree with Mr. Guerra.

5. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with my esteemed colleagues.