Skip to main content

I am a US citizen and I want to get marry with my girlfriend in Guatemala, how can she come legally to the United States?

Rome, GA |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

She is 22 years of age, and I am born in the United States

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


As a U.S. citizen, you have a couple options. You can petition for your girlfriend with a fiancee visa, so that she can come to the U.S. and you can get married here. After you get married, you'll be able to file for her green card. Or you can get married to her in Guatemala, and then petition for her from here as your wife. If your relationship is legitimate and she's never had problems with immigration in the past, then it should be a smooth process. If she's entered the U.S. before without documents or overstayed a visa, then her options might be more limited and the process more difficult. I recommend talking to an immigration attorney before you get started, so that they can review your situation in more detail.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney relationship is created through this information. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions.


You have two main options: to bring her in as your fiancee or get married and have her enter as your spouse. There are differences between the two and you may want to consult with an attorney to explore your options fully.

Legal disclaimer: For specific advice on your case, Mr. Minawi can be reached at 1-866-929-0991 ext. 206 or by answer does not establish an attorney client relationship.


A fiance visa may be your best option .


I agree with Attorney Jacobson. I will just add that, if you intend to file a petition for your girlfriend as your fiancee, you must show that you have met with her in person within the two-year period immediately preceding the date that you file the petition.

I suggest that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss your options, in order to have the best chance of success.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


I agree with my colleagues. I am in the Atlanta area if you would like to contact me for more information. 404-590-2445.

[This answer is for general purposes only; it does not constitute advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.]

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer