I am a US citizen and I want to get marry with my girlfriend in Guatemala, how can she come legally to the United States?

She is 22 years of age, and I am born in the United States

Rome, GA -

Laura Justine Jacobson

Laura Justine Jacobson

Immigration Attorney - Alexandria, VA

As a U.S. citizen, you have a couple options. You can petition for your girlfriend with a fiancee visa, so that she can come to the U.S. and you can get married here. After you get married, you'll be able to file for her green card. Or you can get married to her in Guatemala, and then petition for her from here as your wife. If your relationship is legitimate and she's never had problems with immigration in the past, then it should be a smooth process. If she's entered the U.S. before without documents or overstayed a visa, then her options might be more limited and the process more difficult. I recommend talking to an immigration attorney before you get started, so that they can review your situation in more detail.

Fernanda Nunes Hottle

Fernanda Nunes Hottle

Immigration Attorney - Atlanta, GA

I agree with my colleagues. I am in the Atlanta area if you would like to contact me for more information. 404-590-2445.

Fadi N. Minawi

Fadi N. Minawi

Immigration Attorney - Buffalo, NY

You have two main options: to bring her in as your fiancee or get married and have her enter as your spouse. There are differences between the two and you may want to consult with an attorney to explore your options fully.

Michael Hugh Carlin

Michael Hugh Carlin

Immigration Attorney - Ann Arbor, MI

I agree with Attorney Jacobson. I will just add that, if you intend to file a petition for your girlfriend as your fiancee, you must show that you have met with her in person within the two-year period immediately preceding the date that you file the petition.

I suggest that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss your options, in order to have the best chance of success.

Matthew L. Kolken

Matthew L. Kolken

Immigration Attorney - Buffalo, NY

A fiance visa may be your best option .