Skip to main content

I am a US Citizen and I married and petitioned this guy (a nurse)..Why is there no protection for US citizen from fraud?

San Diego, CA |

I got pregnant and I petitioned my husband as a fiance and married him. (he's a nurse)..I did all the paperworks. I see red flags here and there, but I was just blinded by my love for him. As soon as he got his permanent 10 year green card, he started treating me worse verbally and emotionally abusing me, withholding sex, affection, humiliating me, criticizing me. You see I am a very good wife, I graduated as a doctor, I am not fat, just gullible with love. He told me to my face while we were having sex, he wanted to be single and he wanted to have sex with other girls. He also told me he thinks of girls as clothes, just change. Later, I found out he was cheating, and he told me he never loved me from the beginning. Can I file for one-sided fraud?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. I'm sorry you find yourself in this unfortunate situation. Unfortunately, it sounds more like you fell in love with someone who became a jerk and not necessarily someone who married you to get a green card. At this point, since he has his 10-year green card, the best thing might be to try to move on. If you think you've been defrauded, you can certainly report this to the government and they will decide whether to investigate further.

    The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.

  2. It will be very hard to prove , am afraid. All DHS departments are literally deluged with calls and letters from disgruntled spouses but pay very little attention to them due to lack of resources and manpower.

    Also, based on your story, your husband did not really violate any immigration laws when he married you and filed for a GC. It was all in "good faith", he will argue, but that later "events" took over and...

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. I agree with my colleague. Also, sounds like you may want to consult with a divorce attorney. Good luck to you.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

  4. I'm sorry you had to go through this unfortunate situation. You can definitely report him to immigration if you believe he committed marriage fraud, but you might open yourself up to scrutiny if you ever decide to sponsor a future spouse for a green card again. I agree with my colleague that the best thing to do might be to move on with your life and try to find happiness elsewhere. Good luck. - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.

  5. I agree with my colleagues. Find a good divorce lawyer and move on. Sorry to hear about your situation. Good luck to you.

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics