I am a US citizen and applying for my father. His last name is not same as his father. Is that okay?

Asked about 1 year ago - Philadelphia, PA

My father's last name is not same as his father last name. He has a birth certificate that has different last name. Is it okay or to apply for my father, they both have to have same last name?

1. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Pro

8

Answered . You will be required to prove your relationship to YOUR father. Please consult with an immigration attorney for more information.

2. Kathryn L. Hilbush

Pro

4

Answered . This is an immigration question. I've changed the practice area in order to allow attorneys with that expertise to respond.

3. Christopher Michael Casazza

4

Answered . You will have to clarify. You are petitioning for your father? Does your birth certificate have his name? Does his name on your birth certificate match his name on his passport? Birth certificate?

4. Bogdan Enica

4

Answered . If I understand correctly, your father's name is different from your grandfather's name. However your father's name on his birth certificate is not the same as his name in other documents.
    It should not be such a big problem, but a simple consultation with a lawyer will help you a lot. First, the lawyer will properly formulate the question. Second, he/she will have the opportunity to take a look at the documents and tell you if proof of identity and relationship is sufficient. You may need to find/produce more documentation, if required.

5. Mark Copoulos

Pro

Answered . Schedule a free consultation with an immigration attorney. Good luck.