I am a US citizen, married to a Namibian. We want to live in Namibia, what do I tell customs when I arrive there?

Asked over 1 year ago - Boring, OR

I married my husband in the USA in Jan . 2012 . Shortly thereafter , we moved to Namibia , just to visit . However , things went so perfectly , we decided to stay . According to their laws , all I need to stay in Namibia is a marriage license that is valid , we have that . I have heard that , due to a lack of education , MANY government workers have no idea about this law , and it has caused a lot of grief for couples . When I left to visit my family in the states 2 weeks ago , the Namibian customs worker gave me hell for staying in Namibia past the date on my passport stamp . She said that it says I was there on Holiday , so why am I now living there . She let me go anyway . My question is , we are headed back there in a week , what do I say when I arrive and hand them my passport ? I worry they won't let me in .

1. Alena Shautsova

Pro

4

6

Answered . You need to check with the Namibia consulate about this.

2. Andre R. Olivie

5

Answered . This website is only for U.S. Immigration Law. I would contact the Namibia embassy and ask them.

http://www.namibianembassyusa.org/

Good Luck

Andre Olivie, Esq.
    www.olivielaw.com

3. J Charles Ferrari

4

Answered . Attorneys on Avvo practice US law. They cannot advise you on the laws and requirements of other countries.

You need to contact an attorney in the country in question.