I am a tenant with a year lease which states my utilities are included in my monthy rent.My water has been turned off by DWP.

Asked almost 3 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I live in Playa Del Rey CA, My signed year lease states my utilities are included in my monthly rent of which I have PAID in full every month and have the reciepts.My water has been turned off and the power will be at any moment by DWP. A 3 day notice was sent to the all the occupants on the property( Its a house and a guest apartment ) stating 13k is owed for back rent owed.(we have separate leases and dwellings on the property) I live in the guest apartment.

thank you

1. James Louis Miller

4

Best Answer

Answered . Your landlord must pay the utilities if the lease calls for it. A 3 days notice cannot be sent to everyone for the non-payment of one person. If each person has a separate lease you are not responsible for another persons. If the water has been turned off you unit is now uninhabitable and you may claim damages if the landlord does not remedy the situation.(Civil Code 1942.4)

2. Yousef Monadjemi

Pro

2

Answered . Your landlord is responsible for paying your utilities, if you are paying them in your rent. If you only occupy one of the dwellings, there could be an issue with the other tenant not paying.

You should immediately contact your landlord to discuss these issues.

The opinion provided is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.
  3. Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Pro

1

Answered . The landlord is obligated according to your explanation of the lease. Put the landlord on notice and tell him that if he does not fix this problem you have the right to sue for habitability violations.