I am a teamster that was injured on the job. I am thinking about suing not my employer but the customer "the actual work site"

Asked over 1 year ago - Visalia, CA

i was injured due to a negligent work condition. the injury resulted in a shoulder surgery, spinal injections, trigger point injections to the neck, and a possiable back surgery. if i sue i could be fired because this is my companys only plant that we deliver to....if so... in california would i be able to collect unemployment benifits? can the plant to be sued say that i cant come onto their property to do my job?

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

4

Answered . I recommend you consult a workers' compensation attorney who can advise you regarding the merits of your third party claim. If it is a turkey, you do not want to rock the boat.

After consultation with a WC attorney, consult an employment law attorney. That way you will be fully informed regarding your options.

You can use the "Find a Lawyer" function here on Avvo to locate a qualified attorney in your area. Good luck.

2. David J. McCormick

5

Answered . You have a potential third party case against the customer, so contact an attorney that handles both worker’s comp. and personal injury cases.

3. Brett A. Borah

2

Answered . We don't have enough info about the accident to give you a very complete answer. Having said that, yes, you can sue the customer. Will you win? I don't know.

Will you get fired? Probably not for getting hurt and having a workers' comp case or for having sued the one and only customer of your employer but will you get fired? Probably.

Can you get Unemployment benefits? Depends on the reason given for firing you and whether or not the employer wants to fight with you at E.D.D.

Can you be barred from the property? First, it won't matter if you've been fired. Second, yes they can refuse entrance.

This is all complicated stuff. That's why my colleagues have recommended you consult with an attorney who does both workers' comp and personal injury work. Find a good one here at www.avvo.com Good luck.

4. Nancy J Wallace

2

Answered . You have TWO claims here:
    (1) IF THE 'PLANT' owed you a 'duty of care' and actually breached it, and you prove it was the breach of that duty resulting in all the surgery and injections, YES you can sue the plant for those damages.
    TROUBLE IS, you didn't pay for those medical bills...the comp carrier already paid all those bills, so the Comp Carrier may already be pursuing an action against this 'Plant'.
    You MIGHT get some 'pain & suffering' IF you prove the Plant did something wrong and that wrongdoing is what caused all this need for treatment...

(2) Workers Compensation benefits: sounds like you've already got this, with the shoulder surgery I bet you received Temporary Total Disabilty payments.

IF you cannot return to work for the employer, YOU GET UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE. That will be after the treating doc writes you are 'permanent & stationary' but have some permanent work restrictions.

APPLY FOR UNEMPLOYMENT the day the doctor says 'you're done' and no longer gives you a new appointment... that helps 'inspire' the employer to find a new permanently modified job for you.

NOTE; a comp attorney only gets 15% of the final recovery... so if you have permanent disability totalling around $60,000, the attorney gets just $9,000.

If you get $60,000 in a Civil Personal INjury action, the attorney takes 33% (some get 40%!), so you would lose $20,000.

You can see the comp attorney is a MUCH better bargain!

I've filed claims for my delivery guys... i get the maximum in the comp recovery and get that CLOSED, so the comp carrier cannot 'dig in' and try to take the civil recovery...
    ....THEN I filed the civil action against the work site for only the part that comp didn't cover: Lost wages past & future, increased health insurance premiums, and pain & suffering.

Those were NOT large settlements, but made the worker feel vindicated that the 'plant' that set them up for injury paid something for their losses.