I am a teacher in California and I am leaving Teaching to run my own business, I need to get my retirement money

Asked over 1 year ago - Bakersfield, CA

What is the best way to get money (I have some hardships) I also have a 403 B

1. Evan A Nielsen

3

Answered . That all depends on your age, the amounts you contributed, the nature of the retirement plans and the hardships.

The IRS does recognize some exceptions to the early retirement penalty problem (see http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/Plan-Partic...).

It may also be possible to setup a self-directed IRA, roll your retirement funds to this, and then access those funds for specific business purposes under properly structured vehicles. But doing this is not a do-it-yourself process by any means.

Depending on what direction you decide to go, you'll like need the services of an attorney to assist.

Good Luck,

2. Bruce Givner

2

Answered . Mr. Nielsen has given you a response that shows that he understands all of the possibilities; you should call and hire him.

3. Steven Francis Schroeder

Answered . The withdrawals will be subject to tax and possibly a 10% early withdrawal penalty. The IRS is pretty strict on waiving the 10% penalty based on hardship, and based on the minimal facts presented it doesn't seem you would qualify for a hardship withdrawal. You will want to speak with a attorney or CPA prior to withdrawing the monies so that you have a better understanding of the liabilities incur.