I am a student at Coppin State University. Recently I was told that in error I had rec'd loans and grants from the state of Md.

Baltimore, MD |

The college took back all the money that they had given me to pay for my tuition back to Spring 2012, leaving me owing them $10, 500.00. The college has now referred my acct to central collections, who has now registered me for tax intercept.

Unfortunately, state government can make errors and then hold you accountable for their mistake. Public monies that are given in error must be recovered. Knowing that you should try to work out a payment plan or get a personal loan to repay the money to avoid these collection actions.
If you want help from an attorney, look for one using the "Find an Attorney Tab" here on Avvo.
Best of luck!

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.

You're in luck! Since you now owe tuition, you can discharge it in bankruptcy. Sad, but you have to do what you have to do.

While I am the Student Loan Lawyer, the information I provide is not legal advice nor is there an attorney client relationship created. If you would like more information about me or my firm, please visit my website - www.TheStudentLoanLawyer.com.