I am a student at Coppin State University. Recently I was told that in error I had rec'd loans and grants from the state of Md.

Asked 3 months ago - Baltimore, MD

The college took back all the money that they had given me to pay for my tuition back to Spring 2012, leaving me owing them $10, 500.00. The college has now referred my acct to central collections, who has now registered me for tax intercept.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Randy Jay Harvey


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Unfortunately, state government can make errors and then hold you accountable for their mistake. Public monies that are given in error must be recovered. Knowing that you should try to work out a payment plan or get a personal loan to repay the money to avoid these collection actions.
    If you want help from an attorney, look for one using the "Find an Attorney Tab" here on Avvo.
    Best of luck!

    NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as... more
  2. Joshua R.I. Cohen

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You're in luck! Since you now owe tuition, you can discharge it in bankruptcy. Sad, but you have to do what you have to do.

    While I am the Student Loan Lawyer, the information I provide is not legal advice nor is there an attorney client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,982 answers this week

2,992 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,982 answers this week

2,992 attorneys answering