Skip to main content

I am a stay at home mom but i want to file for divorce.Who pays for the divorce fees?

Tacoma, WA |

I am a stay at home mom but i want to file for divorce.Who pays the divorce fees?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You will have to pay them up front but the laws in your state will probably allow you to ask for them from your husband later.

This response is intended to be a general statement of law that should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Persons who cannot afford to pay the filing fees may ask the court to waive the fees. The person would need to file out additional forms that list out the person's incomes and expenses.

The current filing fees for a dissolution of marriage (divorce) in King, Pierce, and Snohomish counties are $280. Parents of minor children will also need to take a parenting seminar. The cost for each parent for the seminar is about $50. The seminar cost can also be waived for qualifying parents.

In WA, a spouse without ready access to money may ask the court to order the spouse with ready access to money to pay for some or all of the reasonable attorney's fees and court costs for the spouse without the money.

If your spouse is working and has money but is not sharing the money with you, you can ask the court to enter temporary orders that require the spouse to pay spousal maintenance and child support while the case is going through court.

The mandatory forms for most WA family law cases are free at .

That site has links to instructions and self-help guides. WA LawHelp has informative self-help guides.

In the county's superior courthouse, there are family law facilitators who help unrepresented persons fill out family law forms. The cost for the facilitator is free or low (about $30).

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer