I am a special education teacher. California Education code states that my caseload is not to exceed 28.

Pasadena, CA |
Filed under: Education law

I may sign a waiver if I choose but even with a waiver it is not to exceed 32. My district currently has me at 37. I talked to my union and they say it's a district problem and not to go over the 28 caseload limit. As far as I can see, the district is doing nothing. Two years ago, the district gave me a caseload of 45. I did not sign a waiver. I complained and they told me to basically deal with it I did all the IEPs and services but it seems like a violation of the law. If I have to follow the law, why don't they? Can they do this? I don't want retaliation but I want to be treated fairly. People are asking about students that go over the 28. I don't even take my conference time as it is.

1. Your Union should be protecting you and filing against the School District. They are opening themselves up to a Due Process Issue.

The previous information is solely for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please contact an attorney in your area for more specific answers. Responding to your question in no way creates an attorney/client relationship, and none of the specific guarantees of privacy exist. If you have found this information helpful, kindly check the "helpful" box.

2. The union is your mandatory recourse on this issue. You will need to be assertive with the local and see it through. You do not have independent legal rights without first exhausting all remedies provided under the cba.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Education law topics