I am a single mother in Missouri what are my rights?

Asked about 3 years ago - Saint Louis, MO

I am a single mother in Missouri. The Paternal Affidavit was signed at the hospital adding the father to the birth certificate. Does this give him any rights to the child? I am confused as to where things stand legally with our daughter. Do we both have the same rights or do I have sole physical and legal custody? There is no court orders for child support, visitation or custody.

Thank You

My concern is he is threatening me with various issues including overnight visits, taking our daughter on his terms etc. Does he have a right to do any of these things?

He has another child which is causing his wages to be garnished will this have an effect on me obtaining child support?

1. Michael J Corbin

Answered . Unless he goes to court to obtain custody or parenting time, you have custody. Having another support order in place in front of yours will drastically lower your support - there is a cap on total support that can be paid, and the other order takes priority since it was entered first.