I am a retired military veteran here in California.Would changing my name complicate and affect my retirement/disability pay?

Asked about 2 years ago - Pico Rivera, CA

I'm worried that if i do change my name legally, this might delay or cutoff my pay and benefits. The reason why I'm changing my name is few people can pronounce them. This is a nightmare for me while I was still on active duty,that they only use to call me Sgt Z. but now even my kid is getting ridiculed at school because of this. Please advice me.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I don't think anyone can predict how the bureaucrats will deal with this. It shouldn't be a problem. Will it be? Hard to tell. I know that isn't the answer you are looking for, but nobody can tell you whether it will have an affect.

  2. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Name, DOB,and social together form the basis for your being identified by the government you can expect some issues. Recommend you contact DFAS, VA, IRS and CA state before you start the process.

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia.... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It should not be too big a deal. I would recommend you contact the Defense Finance Accounting Service (DFAS) Retirement Pay Division.

    Defense Finance and Accounting Service
    U.S. Military Retirement Pay
    PO Box 7130
    London KY 40742-7130
    Toll free 1-800-321-1080

    I believe that as long as your SSN stays intact, it should not be a big issue. I would imagine that the retirement pay would continue to flow to your account.

    However, I would keep all legal records of the name change so that if/when you pass away, whomever you designated as your beneficiary for the Survivor Benefit Program (SBP) will still be entitled to receive your pension.

  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Contact DFAS they would be better able to answer.


    www.court-martial.com; www.court-martial.us.com; mljucmj@gmail.com 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your... more
  5. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Anecdotally, I have seen a number of people go through name changes because of marriage or divorce in both Active Duty and Retired without much difficulty.

    Andrew Cherkasky of Cherkasky Law, LLC is an Illinois attorney focused on military & criminal defense. The advice... more

Related Topics

Veterans benefits and elder law

Elderly veterans and their spouses may qualify for certain veterans benefits. An elder law attorney can help evaluate your eligibility and application.

Military law

Military law deals with issues covered by the Uniform Code of Military Justice, which is a set of federal laws applying to members of the armed forces.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,899 answers this week

3,777 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,899 answers this week

3,777 attorneys answering