I am a professional singer and want to know if sites like legalzoom can be trusted to file the copyright of my song?

Asked almost 5 years ago - New York, NY

the song was written over 20 years ago and I have the original studio recording in cassette form, and various updated versions on CD which I have recently registered these copies with an online copyright registry company called worldwideocr.com. I am about to record and release it as a single. My question is- is it safe to use one of the many sites like LegalZoom.com who offer a service of filing your musical compositions for you with the copyright office?

1. William Robert Samuels

Pro

1

Answered . If by "safe" you’re asking whether LegalZoom is trustworthy, the answer is probably. However, seeking the appropriate copyright protections for what are different works, I would recommend discussing the matter with a qualified copyright attorney. The issue is that you do not want to file for copyright protection that does not appropriately cover your material, or that may in fact be liable to attack by others later on down the road. In that sense, working through LegalZoom could be quite “dangerous.” Copyright ownership can depend on many different factors and discussing with an attorney can be quite helpful, even if you file on your own.

Please note that this information is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice and should not be construed as legal advice. Nothing herein is meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Oscar Michelen

1

Answered . I would also note that for straightforward simple documents and forms, local attorneys do not charge much more than these websites do, so for nealry the same amount of money, you can have an lawyer complete the paperwork and also follow up to make sure it has been propelry filed

3. Pamela Koslyn

1

Answered . Legalzoom is only helpful to customers that already know exactly what they need. Legalzoom isn't a law firm, as they so frequently warn, and they're perfectly happy to let you file for the wrong thing. You're much better off having a qualified IP lawyer, who won't charge much more, if at all, than Legalzoom, actually analyze your situation and needs andgive you advice to make sure it's done right.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

4. Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

1

1

Answered . It depends on what you mean by "safe." LegalZoom and similar companies cannot give you legal advice - they basically fill out paperwork for you. But if you don't know the correct way to fill out the paperwork you can find yourself in deep trouble.

If this is important to you then you should find an intellectual property attorney who can walk you through the process properly the first time.